May 22, 2020
Meet A Member: Victoria Alesi
1. Victoria, you recently renewed and upgraded your membership with The Matriots. What motivated you to give at a greater level? I upgraded my membership because I believe in the mission and vision of the Matriots and know that with the greater commitment we will see a greater difference for women running for office!
2. You are a new member to The Matriots Membership Committee. How do you think we can grow The Hive across the state of Ohio amidst the quarantine? I think that with continued education and awareness across all parts of the states, we have the ability to educate all on the importance of supporting and encouraging women to run for office. It is our duty as members and specifically as a part of the Membership Committee to grow the hive!
3. Do you have a favorite candidate that The Matriots has endorsed? How do you plan to get involved in the 2020 election? My favorite Matriot endorsed candidate is Elizabeth Brown running for Columbus City Council. I have seen Liz Brown speak many times and am always inspired by her. She is a strong advocate for working mothers, higher minimum wage and women’s rights. Her work creating the Columbus Women’s Commission at City Council is very important and she is making it a point to include all voices at the table.
I am also volunteering my time to register voters and on Election Day will be out there in my VOTE T-shirt ready to help people exercise their civic duty!
4. Can you share why you think The Matriots’ vision for more women in elected office is the solution to today’s political rancor? There is no way to have an equitable system in place if women are not represented at the table where the policies are being made. There is no doubt that women are more than capable of leading our local, county, state and federal governments, we just haven’t had the support. The Matriots are fighting for women’s representation and I couldn’t be more proud.
5. Now for something fun: Tell us about your favorite thing to do in the great state of Ohio. It could be a hobby, a favorite place to eat or something we might not know about our state! As a dancer and artist, I am so proud of the arts across Ohio! I love visiting The Columbus Museum of Art, listening to local, live music in our beautiful theatres, and seeing contemporary dance shows at the Wexner Center for the Arts! #artmakescolumbus